The Difference Between Balustrades And Balusters
A balustrade is a railing that is supported by balusters. It prevents people from falling over the edge of stairs, a balcony, a bridge or a terrace.
A balustrade is a railing that is supported by balusters. It prevents people from falling over the edge of stairs, a balcony, a bridge or a terrace. Balustrades were first used between the 13th and 7th centuries B.C. Balustrades were commonly used in the lining of windows in Assyrian palaces. They came back in the 15th century to be used in Italian palaces. The job of a balustrade is to provide safety and strength.
What is the difference between a balustrade and a baluster?
- A baluster is a vertical moulted shaft installed on stairways or parapets. Essentially, a group of balusters is collectively known as balustrade.
- A baluster is a single post, whereas balustrade is a set of all those posts joint together as one unit.
Different types of balustrades:
- Wrought iron balustrades provide security to a balcony or parapet in a stylish way. Wrought iron is strong and durable and unlike aluminium or wood, it can withstand different weather conditions. It is rustproof and rot proof. Wrought iron balustrades are cheap to maintain and they can easily fit into any kind of budget. It is unlike glass balustrade that requires frequent cleaning.
- Glass balustrade is made from toughened glass. They are aesthetically classy yet modern. They give the house or the office a classy yet trendy look. Moreover, they act as a wind barrier during the winter season. Glass balustrade can vary from semi frames, fully framed or frameless. The glass can be transparent or tinted in different colors. Glass offers a lot of scope for the interior designer to experiment with. The only con of glass is that they require frequent cleaning.
- Wood balustrade is more traditional and gives the house an ethnic yet warm look. They can be painted or glazed according to your choice. But wood is susceptible to changing weather conditions. They must be constantly protected from humidity, pests and water damage. Wooden balustrading comes in different shapes and sizes. Those made with Square or Blank balusters are a simple yet timeless design. The Stop Chamfered balusters are simple yet elegant. Stop Ovolo balusters are a classic design and have been used since the time of ancient Greece. Georgian balusters are the most popular and excellent in quality. Georgian fluted balusters incorporate fluting into the shaft. Fluting refers to the shallow vertical grooves of the shaft. Oxford balusters are similar to Georgian balusters, but they have a rounded look.
- Stainless steel balustrade has a timeless appeal. They can be used for both interior and exterior balustrading. The cons of stainless-steel balustrade are that it can weaken in extreme heat. They are expensive as compared to aluminium. Balustrades made with stainless steel balusters come in a chrome-plated or brushed nickel-plated finish. Chrome-plated balusters have high shine and corrosion resistance, because they are plated with chromium. Brushed nickel balusters are made of nickel instead of steel. They have a soft texture and are pleasant to touch.
- Strand wire balustrade offers a contemporary look to your structure. They are easy to maintain but quite expensive.
- Aluminium balustrading is cost-effective. They are extremely durable and sturdy. They are easy to maintain and can be used for interior as well as exterior balustrading. They are available in many colors and can withstand all weather conditions.
- Vinyl balustrade is cheap and durable, and its maintenance is also easy and simple.
- Mixed material balustrades are a combination of traditional square-cut timber sections at the top and brushed stainless steel shaft at the bottom.
The above article studies the different types of balusters and balustrades. You can go through the article to gather knowledge about them, so that you can choose the best balustrade option for your residential or commercial property.