Common Electrical Problems & Tips To Deal With Them
Homeowners are more than familiar with electricians and the electrical services they provide. It is highly unlikely that one has not had the need to call an electrician for some or other reason. You might require them for a simple task of lights, ceiling fans, or more complex problems like switchboards, power points, cabling, fault finding, etc. The electrical system at home is prone to faults hence there is likely to be some of other issues.
We also often need an electrician to upgrade our systems. Electrical faults can be avoided by remaining alert and not ignoring common signs. Some of the common signs of an electrical fault include popping sounds from an outlet, an electrical switch that is very hot, a breaker that won't reset. Being attentive to such common issues is the first step towards preventing electrical fires. This article explains some of the common electrical problems we face in a house and provides tips on how to deal with them.
Common electrical problems in a house
- The appliance keeps blowing a fuse: It often happens that an appliance keeps blowing a fuse. Although this is unlikely to cause damage to any other appliances it does mean they will be switched off. Appliances like the refrigerator, computers, etc which are likely to be on will suddenly turn off. The common reason for this to occur is a fault with the appliance itself, like a frayed wire or a loose connection. This is a quick fix that many homeowners will attempt to fix themselves; it should ideally be done by an electrician.
- Electrical system overload: Using too many electrical devices all at once that is drawing too much power will cause the fuse to trip. In the case where this happens frequently, it might be a good idea to shift a few appliances and use a different circuit. For example, shifting the computer, television to another part of the house can solve this issue.
- Electrical surge: This tends to occur in several houses and the reason can be either poor wiring, lighting strike, faulty appliance, or a damaged power line. This occurs in a fraction of a second but can damage your electrical equipment beyond repair. Avoid using poor quality electrical equipment and ensure the wiring is of good quality to avoid this.
- Overloading: Using higher wattage devices like bulbs or appliances than the outlet is designed for will is very dangerous. This will cause the outlet to melt or result in a fire. It is always advisable to check the wattage level prior to using the device.
- Flickering lights: This is not a major issue however if it does tend to happen frequently it is best to call an expert electrical to check the issue. Some of the common problems can be frayed wiring or faulty light. It is vital to not ignore this since it can result in an electrical fire.
- A burning smell: A burning smell is a clear sign that there is something wrong with the electrical system. It might be that something is heating too much or due to the melting of plastic sheeting. It is vital one identifies the source of the smell or calls an electrician for immediate assistance.
A large number of fires in a house are due to an electrical fault which could very well have been avoided. It is best for homeowners to take all the necessary precautions to avoid overloading and other common electrical issues. Some of the common appliances that tend to cause an electrical fault include a heater, kettle, fridge, and laptop. Electrical fires can cause a great deal of damage, for example, leaving a phone charging on the bed resulted in an electrical fire in Adelaide causing damage of over $30,000. One of the best ways to avoid major electrical issues is to trust an electrician to fix any problems you might be having with the electrical system.